The Brady Bunch Kids

The Brady Bunch Kids

Friday, April 1, 2011

Special....

It is that time of year again, Special Olympic!


While many of you know, I am not the biggest fan of living in the south, today is one day which makes me brag about the community I live in. In 30 minutes I will make my way to Breanna's school for her pep rally for her team.



There I will find hundreds of people standing out in front of her school as the entire school will come out to support her team. You will also find a large crowd of police officers from all over the county who will participate in the Baldwin County Alabama Law Enforcement Torch Run. The Baldwin County Alabama Law Enforcement Torch Run was established in 1981 and is dedicated to raising awareness and funds for the citizens of Baldwin County with intellectual disabilities that focus on their unique gifts as Special Olympic athletes.


The officers will usually give a pep talk to all of Breanna's team and dedicate their run to them. From there the crowd of officers will make their way from Fairhope High School and will run about 5 miles to where the events will occur. And what a sight it is to see all these officers running down the main road to the field.


What is even more touching to see, is all the businesses who actually stop what they are doing for about 30 minutes and line the streets to watch and show their support for the officers as well as for Breanna's high school team. I truly wish I could capture it all to share with you.


This year is even more special to me as the National Juniors Honor Society for Baldwin County has been selected to assist in the events, which means that Jordyn will be there to assist and watch Breanna in her events.


Breanna is so excited for today! All morning she has been reminding me that Jordyn will be at Special Olympics and today we "run fast!"


No comments:

Post a Comment