The Brady Bunch Kids

The Brady Bunch Kids

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

really? No I mean REALLY!?!?!?!

Before moving to Washington in July, I had already started the process of looking for work. I have a notebook that I keep track of what day I apply for a job position, what company, the job position, and location. If a job posting lists the salary and hours, I also list that.

While I knew I might have difficulty obtaining a job, especially since I recently graduated from college - again! I didn't think I'd have this much difficulty in getting an interview. To date I have had 4 interviews, 2 phone and 2 in-person, and 2 of those interviews were with the same company.  Although I have gotten great feedback on my interviews, most companies make the decision for me on whether or not I am willing to commute or work the required hours.

(Insert first really here!) If I wasn't willing to make the commute, work for a specific company, or work the required hours - I wouldn't have applied!

This isn't the reason for my post though. Today I received not one but TWO (so far) emails letting me know that these companies have decided to "pursue other candidates for the position" that I have applied for.

(Insert next REALLY here) While I don't expect to be the most qualified at most jobs I apply for and I do expect to receive a LARGE amount of rejection emails, WHY must they send them the day before Thanksgiving? While I haven't even made an effort this week to apply for many jobs (so far it's been only 1) I had a reason - it's a HOLIDAY week! Not many companies are posting new job openings let alone reviewing resumes this week, so why in the heck would a company send out rejection emails??? Yea thanks company A and B for squashing my holiday spirit!!!

So I threw myself a little pitty party, of how worthless I am on not being able to get a job ANY WHERE, and yes I mean every where.  No seasonal work at Macy's, Fred Meyers, Albertsons, and yes even Lowes...to name a few, No Human Resource jobs because that is my newest and greatest college degree major, No Healthcare jobs because I have over 10 years experience and my previous college degree major.

And to add to my pitty party, we are supposed to have all the kids for turkey day, however the 'other' parents have decided to go against the visitation schedules and not allow the kids to visit. So no job PLUS 2 rejection notifications today, and no 'full' household, PLUS Eric has to work ALL day today because someone called a 2PM meeting (insert another REALLY here) which means we have no idea when we will be able to leave the Seattle area to travel down to Portland. So I threw my pitty party in the shower in order to multi-task getting ready for the day and feeling sorry for myself.

To be honest I am not sure why the lack of a job affects me the way it does, maybe it's because I don't like to rely on others for my survival. I really shouldn't complain, we are surviving on one paycheck, I have no idea how, but we are. We even have had left over funds the last two paychecks to help pay for kids Christmas flights and have been able to purchase some Christmas and birthday gifts here and there, giving us a slight head start on the holiday shopping. I know deep down, there is a reason why I am not being considered for all these positions I apply for, but for some reason I just feel worthless every time these rejection notifications come in.

Well my pitty party time is over, I must get back to my day and get us ready for our travels. On a brighter side I get to see some family I haven't seen in a few years and it also looks like I may have a new blogging topic!

To all my friends, family, readers, and yes the companies who send me the lovely rejection emails today - Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment