The Brady Bunch Kids

The Brady Bunch Kids

Friday, December 14, 2012

As I sit in awe....

Tragedies occur daily, and I know everything happens for a reason, but come on! What is going on??? Maybe it's the holidays, maybe people are off their meds, maybe I am overly sensitive because things are closer to home than usual.

Tuesday, a 22-year old openly fired at mall shoppers in Portland Oregon, killing two and injuring one before turning the gun on himself.

Today, Friday, while reading the news online earlier this morning, I noticed that there was a small breaking news link stating there had been a shooting at an elementary school in Connecticut. At this time, there were no known injuries or deaths, but as most of the country learned while being glued to televisions, radios, and/or computers the fate of that community dramatically changed.

While I type this updates continue to come in. The shooter, deceased, was 24 years old. His mother, also confirmed deceased was a teacher at the school where he opened fire. Currently it is reported that 9 adults and 18 children are deceased, with the majority of the children being students of his mother's.

On this same day, 22 elementary students in China were stabbed. Thankfully all of these children survived.

I finally have to turn off the television, too much conflicting information is being presented, and the same information is being repeated over and over again, and lets be honest, there is nothing I can do.

Like everyone I know, with or without kids, my heart aches, I want my kids and family near, I contemplate on how easy it is to walk in and out of public places, including schools, and I also vow that I will not live in fear.

This afternoon, with a quick text to both kids in Utah and a short sweet text exchange between Bre's teacher, I carry on with my day. Laundry is done (again), dinner is planned, cooked, ate and cleaned up, and as sad as today's events, and even this weeks events, have been our life appears to have returned to normal at our house. Which is easy because overall we haven't been affected, just made aware.

Everyone has faced tragedy in some form or another, and I can honestly say (from some aspect of experience) life goes on. One will never forget, some will never get over it fully, but all in all life goes on. Memories will be relived, the events of the day will repeat in ones mind, but life goes on.

Many friends and acquaintances are screaming (okay not literally) for gun control, others are talking about how to better protect our schools, some are just still in awe and posting their thoughts of today's events, and most are sharing their thoughts and feelings about their spouses, families, and most importantly their children. Like so many things, there is no right, nor no wrong on what to say, think, or do about any of these tragedies.
May time comfort those in pain, and may these awful tragedies unite not only families, communities, and our nation. Our thoughts are with those affected by this weeks tragedies.

Strange is our situation here upon earth. Each of us comes for a short visit, not knowing why, yet sometimes seeming to a divine purpose. From the standpoint of daily life, however, there is one thing we do know: That we are here for the sake of others. ~ Albert Einstein


No comments:

Post a Comment